Summary: My darling Sister in Law Marg made these for a recent family lunch and they were amazing! Mr Asks family always have the best meals. On this occasion it was slow cooked BBQ pork ribs, potato salad, corn, coleslaw, homemade veggie patties and these cornbread muffins. Oh yes! And I even got to take home leftovers! I am so lucky and so are you because I asked Marg if I could share the recipe with you and she said yes! Just in time to celebrate Thanksgiving today for my U.S readers. But these are so delicious, they would complement any meal.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup cornmeal or coarse polenta
- 1 tblsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tblsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cup grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 220C and grease a 12 cup muffin pan with non stick spray.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Add 1 cup of grated cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and melted butter. Pour the wet mix into the dry mix, and stir combine. Just make sure all the dry ingredients are moistened but don’t over mix.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cups.
- Sprinkle the tops with the remaining cheese, pressing it in slightly.
- Bake for 17 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Best served immediately, while still warm.