Is it just me or did this week rush past before you had time to notice? Lots of errands, Mummy Ask had some dental work and I cleared a heap of ASG business.
But the big deal of this week was my Mums 60th Birthday on Friday! Yay for my gorgeous Mum who doesn’t look a day over 45! She is not a fan of making a big deal of her birthday but some fun must be had. Mum loves a good motorbike ride and the amazing Ken from the Ulysses club took Mum for a ride along the coast. Thanks Ken! She returned to my house for her fave cocktail, the Salty Dog. The grapefruits were donated by the wonderful CA, she grew them and everything! Thanks CA! Thank you so much for your lovely comments on Facebook and Instagram! You guys know how to make a girl smile!
- Of course Friday was also iPhone 6 delivery day. I got a gold one, Mum got a space grey and Mr Ask got the 6 plus in space grey. Just in case you were wondering! As per previous years, Mr Ask was at the Apple store early and was told he was the first person in SA to get one. Lucky he didn’t do what this guy did!
- I started a new and rather complex embroidery. I have no idea if it will come together nicely but I have my fingers crossed. I’m taking lots of progress pics for you.
- Stay tuned for a post on the new ASG brochure! I’m super excited about it, I think you’ll like it. I’ve been working towards it for a while and it’s great that it will be available soon.
- Speaking of sewing stuff, if you fancy learning to sew, you should definitely do this free, online course with Craftsy. Get out that sewing machine at the back of the cupboard and give it a go!
- I haven’t helped anyone’s diet this week with my creamy potato bake and double drizzle lemon cake. I’m sorry about that! Mum loved the lemon cake so much, I made her one for her birthday.
- This made me lol!
It’s sunny, my windows are open, a neighbor is moving, the washing machine is humming, people are putting out their wheelie bins. Just a perfect suburban Sunday. Have a wonderful Sunday xxxx
Summary: We have been talking about these potatoes for two weeks now. I know that the kind potato bake we love is more fat than potato but these potatoes were shut up awesome, so don’t flip out at the ingredients. I actually reduced the fat significantly. I’ve made this kind of thinly sliced, creamy, cheesy potato a million times but this is the only recipe that’s just right. This recipe is based on the cordon bleu cookbook that came with one of my appliances but I can’t find it to credit them. The trick with this dish is to slice the potatoes thinly, I use my food processor because it’s super quick, super thin and I enjoy having finger tips! Your cooking time may vary if your slices are thicker.
- 600g potatoes
- 500ml cream
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Pre heat the oven to 180C.
- Peel the potatoes and slice super thinly. I use a food processor with a 2mm blade for this after the unfortunate mandolin incident of 2011.
- Arrange the potatoes in layers in a baking dish. Whisk the cream, salt, pepper and garlic together and pour over the potatoes.
- Cover the potatoes with foil and bake for 40 mins. Remove the foil and sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes. Bake for a further 40mins. Test potatoes for doneness by poking with a butter knife. If not tender, cook a little longer, covering with foil if it becomes too brown on top.
- I like to allow this to cool for 5 mins before serving. We always have this with steak and greens, like baked brussels or pan wilted spinach.