This week has had a very topsy turvy vibe. Mr Asks Dad was unwell and in hospital for a few days, thankfully he is fine and is home now. Mr Asks Mum almost cancelled her trip home to the Philippines because of it and is still prepping like crazy. Mummy Ask doesn’t ‘do’ Christmas and is working on Christmas & Boxing Days – no rest for nurses! Mr Asks family Christmas will just be us, his sister and his Dad. Even so, there have been mad dashes across town to Costco, more manic seasonal stitching and I’ve even braved Marion (our big shopping mall that is painfully busy) for a manicure and gifts! Yes, grinchy me has Christmas nails. Not to mention that Mr Ask will be celebrating a BIG birthday on the the 30th of the month. He is literally the hardest person to buy for, it drives me NUTS! He also prefers to ignore birthdays and if you read my birthday post, you’ll know that ignoring it is NOT an option! This means all planning is secret squirrel, I’m the birthday celebration ninja! I’m only telling you guys because Mr Ask doesn’t really read my posts. Or at least, I don’t think he does……
- We have been watching the BBC doco series, Wild Weather with Richard Hammond. Very interesting but in episode 3, something I’ve long thought, was finally confirmed…..South Australia is one of the dustiest places in the world. I knew it!
- Ruth, Peter and Tom of the BBC Farm Series fame (you know, Victorian Farm, Edwardian Farm, Tudor Monastery Farm and Wartime Farm) are back at it. This time building an authentic 13th century castle in Secrets of the Castle. So amazing! How did people ever work this stuff out?
- And while we are poking around the catalogues of the BBC, we just started watching the series Black Mirror. I am already thoroughly addicted! Part twilight zone, part sarcastic commentary on the perverse nature of humanity and definitely kick ass viewing. I’m not surprised I like it, it was created by Charlie Brooker. Charlies quick wit thrills me. If you are chilling over this holiday season, get on to watching Screenwipe and the other shows in the ‘wipe’ family.
It’s that time of year where I ignore the seasonal festive and make some time to go to my happy place! Yep, you are now entering Crazy Cat Lady controlled airspace. There will be cat pics! If you do not love cat pics (I’m not sure what you are doing on this blog then), just jump to the bold text below….
- This cat has been given title of “Most Awful Sleeping Face in Japan”. Poor kitty! But he is pretty derpy…..
- This cat made a friend and his human posted pics of it on Reddit. Redditors demanded that the ‘friends’ home be found, OP delivered.
- One Redditor posted that his wife made him take a cat Christmas photo and it turned out better than expected.
- And of course, 26 pics of cats and dogs in Christmas sweaters, was a link I HAD to click…
- In the same way, I had to see 14 dogs and cats that destroyed Christmas. Which I found after reminiscing about Christmases past with Mummy Ask. One year, our shy and mild mannered Belgian Shepard Jack, kinda ate Christmas! We had this huge fake tree, presents all wrapped and stashed below it’s lower branches. We went out to a party and came home to a sheepish Jack, gold curling ribbon stuck in his teeth and all the presents chewed. As we recall, a pair of tube socks got the worst of it! Ah, a Christmas surprise, for sure!
- If this post finds you glum, instead of glad, do what I do when it gets too hard. Go to the Reddit Sub dedicated to cats wearing makeup. Yes, you read correctly and no it’s not real makeup (digital) but boy it makes me smile!
- You know how much I love my cats, Mummy Asks dogs and basically all creatures great and small. This time of year is the WORST for many animals. So many are euthanized in our shelters and yet there are wonderful, kind volunteers working to save them. These people choose to break their hearts and spend their time to save furry lives. SA Dog Rescue is not just dogs, they have cats and even some farm animals. A small amount of money or even just your time, can really change things for beautiful animals, like Mums dogs Zac & Reg. Even you have no time or money to give, it takes almost no energy to repost this post explaining the work SA Dog Rescue do and how you can help. There are no ugly pics of mistreated animals, no gore at all. I’ll even post the raw link below, then you can just copy and paste. I beg you to get the word out so we can make this Christmas happy for the dogs and the cats too. Please, do me this kindness and I will take it as your wonderful gift to me.
This is probably my last chance to chat with you before Christmas. I am taking a well-deserved break between now and the 4th of January. It’s only a digital break, a few days without answering email, working to my posting schedule, photographing everything in case, without Instagram, facebook or twitter. I will pop by to wish you a happy new year.
If you are still organizing Christmas you NEED my big Christmas post and if you entertaining or going anywhere where you need to bring a plate, you need my party food post. Seriously, don’t stress and do less while wowing them all.
I would so love to write an inspiring, joy inducing message of seasonal wonder for you all but it all feels wrong when I type it. Just be kind to each other, be kind xyourself. None of the present giving and food cooking and hype really matters. I wish you amazing connections with loved ones, safe passage as you travel and a lack of disaster of all kinds. And I hope that it is all garnished with some fun and frivolity. If it all goes to hell in a hand basket (or Helena Handbasket as we say round here) be sure to laugh and plan to be on deserted island beach new year! It’s goodbye for me, until we gather round to await the dawn of a shiny 2015 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx