Summary: I love versatile recipes like this, recipes that can work in with so many other dishes. These beans are great in burritos or tacos, over rice, as a filling for a baked potato, as a nachos topping, on toast or even just by themselves as a side dish. This is a luscious mix of squishy beans and delicious, melty cheese. It’s also wonderfully quick and easy, making it a great option for busy weeknights. We often have this with Spiced Baked Corn and rice. If you would prefer a vegan version, this is pretty similar to my Capsicum & Black Bean Salsa Salad. You can heat it or leave it chilled, whatever you prefer.
- 2 (400g) cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup salsa, homemade or bought
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 150 g cheddar cheese, grated
- Chili powder or red pepper flakes, to taste
- Stir the beans, salsa, cumin, grated cheese and chili together in a microwave safe bowl.
- Use a potato masher to break down some of the beans. I don’t like to break the beans down too much, just enough to make things extra creamy.
- Microwave until the beans are hot through and the cheese is melted, about 3 mins.
- Stir well, really incorporating the cheese, before serving