This is Vego comfort food at its finest. The pumpkin becomes sweet and caramelized and the chickpeas and cumin bring a fro earthiness. Fresh green beans, sharp red onion, fragrant basil and creamy fetta mingle together in perfect harmony. This is one of those dishes that really is more than the sum of its parts. Like the best comfort foods, there isn’t much active cook or prep time. I prep everything while the oven heats up and then come back to the kitchen as the pumpkin comes ready, to finish cooking and assemble. I’ve already made this a few times more, it’s just so good and so easy! If you’d like to keep this vegan, substitute the fetta for a vegan variant like this.
- 600g pumpkin, cut into slices
- 1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp garlic olive oil (divided)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1 pinch chili powder
- 1 (400g) chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 150g green beans, topped and tailed
- 1 small red onion, sliced into half moons
- 200g danish style fetta, crumbled
- 1 handful (20g) fresh basil, torn
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Lay the pumpkin sliced on a lined baking tray, spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until fork tender.
- When the pumpkin is nearly through cooking, prepare the chickpeas. In a small fry pan, mix together the cumin, onion powder, chili powder and 1 tblsp of garlic oil. Add the chickpeas and toss until well combined. Cook the chickpeas over medium heat, stirring often, until hot through and coated in the spices. About 3-5 mins
- Microwave the green beans for 90 seconds to 2 mins on high.
- Layer the pumpkin, chickpeas, green beans, red onion, basil and fetta on a large serving plate. Drizzle with remaining 1 tblsp garlic olive oil and lemon juice.
- Serves 2 as a meal or 4 as a side