Summary: I have no idea where this amazing dip got its name! If you’re an American (maybe even a Texan) and you happen to know, please fill me in. This dip is an absolutely delicious, cheesy delight that works beautifully for parties, pot lucks (or bring a plate as we say here) or any time you are feeding a crowd. My family ate this so quickly! Only we can eat a huge dip in 24 hours! You can opt to leave it plain or add jalapeños to your hearts content. If you have a stand mixer, this is really quick to make but you could absolutely do this by hand if you really soften the cream cheese. Even if you can beat the cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning with electric beaters before adding the rest, it would be a great help.
- 2 (400g) cans refried beans
- 1 (250g) block cream cheese, softened
- 1 (25g) packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream (lite okay)
- 500g grated Mexican blend, tasty or cheddar cheese
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- Optional: Pickled jalapeño slices, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add the beans, cream cheese, taco seasoning and sour cream to the bowl of a mixer and beat until well combined.
- Add the spring onions and 1/3 of the cheese to the bean mix, along with the jalapeños (if using) and stir well to combine.
- Pour the bean mix into a casserole dish or foil tray and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
- Allow to cool for 15mins, to avoid scalding. Garnish with extra spring onions and jalapeño slices and serve with corn chips.